Saturday, August 27, 2011

Settling In

Well friends here I am, settled-ish into my new, very spacious, never-been-lived-in-before, apartment. I've spent thousands of dollars in the last week buying things for the place, paying the security deposit and rent, filling up on groceries, and setting up utilities and so forth. Whoever taught the lesson on how much moving out can cost skipped my high school apparently! My dad called my decorating style "Early Poverty". Fabulous.
I cooked my first meal on my own in the new place - my dad and sister stayed for a few days to help me get settled and he did the cooking, but this time it was up to me and I was kind of proud of the results...I've never cooked fish before, but it was delicious!
I'm actually thinking of taking a few cooking classes around here - once I have some money again! They have a few at a local bakery that look pretty fun and interesting, and I could meet some people there. I also might start volunteering with the local library and/or theatre association - just depends on how exhausted I am once I actually start at the new job. It's funny though - with all the stress of moving I'm not even worried about the job, I'm too busy trying to get life figured I guess!
Well, back to settling for me, but answer me this while I'm gone: Should I volunteer at the church on Wednesday nights with a children's program, or should I take a creative writing class at the local community college? Answer away in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. That's such a hard choice! I'd probably say work with the kids at church. Kids are amazing, you don't have to pay for it, and it gives a chance to meet people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, creative writing classes have never done much for me. If they have one that's free, take it, but working with kids can be so fun and inspiring that I'd do that!

    ReplyDelete