Sunday, September 25, 2011

That thing that grabs on and won't let go

Writer's are all inspired by different things and have different reasons for writing. I once read somewhere or other that writers write to help themselves understand better - that writing is a way of exploring ideas or questions, an attempt at finding an answer.
One of the things that for some reason inspires me or makes me need to write to find an answer is the idea of a single event changing a life forever. Something big or something that seemed insignificant at the time, that was so powerful as to make someone's life unalterably different.
Usually when I think of that I'm thinking of something terrible. Let's face it, there's no story in the happy ever after - it's what leads up to it that makes it worth telling.
And, too, I guess I'm thinking of the things that go unspoken - family secrets, shame, things every single person on earth carries with them and never speaks aloud.
I hope I don't sound creepy, or dark and troubled, because most people really don't think of me that way, I promise! But these are the things that stick in my mind.
So here are two songs that I've heard, one for years and one just recently, that I just can't seem to get out of the back of my writing mind - I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do with them, there's a concept there, a story waiting, but I can't seem to muster up the focus to bring them out and find the story in it. What do these songs say to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment