Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Time for Speaking Honestly

Do you guys ever have those days where you just sort of envy the rest of the world, and all those people that have more interesting, lovely, engaging, exciting lives than you do?
Maybe it's just me.
Getting used to a new job is weird to be sure - and you know, it may not be what I want to do forever but I can certainly be thankful for the good experience it's giving me, and for the opportunity to BE employed and pay bills and have insurance and a million other things so many people are not able to have right now.
And my little apartment is certainly very nice now, with everything set up and the slightly crooked pictures I hung myself, and the little bits and things I brought from home and everything.
But doesn't it just seem like others have such cool things?  Other people have beautiful decorating styles, and great fashion senses, and a knack for crafts or drawing; other people are going to Europe or getting married or having babies. The last two days I've just been seeing and/or hearing about so many other peoples so many other neat events and doings. It makes me pouty with jealousy (yes, this is something that can happen to you!).
I tend to go through bouts of thinking like that - episodes of the green-eyed monster you might say, and my thoughts towards others and their achievments or life events are certainly more charitable when I'm feeling that my life is going well too! But in the end all the silly and overstated sayings are true - life is about how you see things, the willful decision to love it and everything about it from the sunrise to curling up under your blankets at the end of the day.
I make daily choices (sometimes staying steadfast and sometimes straying just a touch) to be happy, to be content and joyful and stay focused on every little lovely thing.
Like the cool air moving into my apartment as I read my Bible by light of the rising sun.
Like going out for lunch with coworkers.
Like seeing a few more red leaves everyday on the tree by work.
Like having a job where I get to go out and not sit in an office all day.
Like having a wonderful coworker I can ask my millions of questions without feeling dumb or in the way.
Like making whatever I want for dinner with no one to complain but me!
Like my candle that smells like cinnamon and warm apple cider.
Like having a Dad that calls me every night.
Like having a hand, however small, in making Jesus important in the lives of little kids.
Like getting to wear scarves again.
Like going for rambles through the nearby neighborhoods and enjoying the sun on my face and the breeze in my hair.
Like feeling at peace.

What reasons will you find to love your life today?

1 comment: